Cooking a whole turkey in a cooking or oven bag is primarily what my mother did for thanksgiving and what I have grown up with. Cooking the turkey in a bag seals the moisture in and prevents it from getting out; this allows your turkey to be very tender.
- Preheat oven to 325 and adjust racks in oven so when bag expands it does not touch the top of the oven, hang over the dish, or touch side walls of oven.
- Take oven bag and pour about 2-4 tablespoons of flour in bag so it coats the inside of the bag completely (this prevents bag from bursting)
- Place your turkey inside the bag and place turkey and bag inside a deep cooking dish (3-4 inches)
- In a small mixing bowl; mix ½ cup of butter and your spices ( I used fresh sage, salt, pepper, and wild tree’s “Lemon Rosemary Blend”)
- Cut vegetables of your choice ( usually only onions and celery are used)
- Add stuffing into the inner cavity of the turkey (see recipe corner for stuffing recipe)
- Separate skin from meat and rub butter mixture over meat under skin of turkey. Place vegetables inside of bag and 2/3 to 1 ½ cup of water (depending on the size of your turkey).
- Tie bag tightly and poke 6-8 holes in the top of bag with a fork ( you do this by resting bag over the turkey breast and puncture into the turkey)
- Cook for desired time (see chart below)
- If you wish to have crispy skin, cut open top of bag and cook exposed for the last 30 min (do not cook 30 longer) lest rest for 15-20 min
|Whole Turkey *Unstuffed||12-16 lb.||2 - 2 1/2 hours||180*|
|1Whole Turkey *Unstuffed||16-20 lb.||2 1/2 - 3 hours||180*|
|Whole Turkey *Unstuffed||20-24 lb.||3 - 3 1/2 hours||180*|
|Whole Turkey *Stuffed||12-16 lb.||2 1/2 - 3 hours||180*|
|Whole Turkey *Stuffed||16-20 lb.||3 - 3 1/2 hours||180*|
|Whole Turkey *Stuffed||20-24 lb.||3 1/2 - 4 hours||180*|
|Turkey Breast *Bone In||8-12 lb.||2 1/2 hours||180*|